What do parents think about OLS?
We transferred our children to Our Lady of Sorrows mostly for our daughter when she was entering into the fifth grade, but because we also had a third grader, we wanted them to be both at the same school/same academic calendar. Looking back, OLS has been a very positive and wonderful choice for our family. Our Lady of Sorrows School embraces faith, and a Christian curriculum is taught across all subjects. There are small class sizes, loving and supportive teachers and staff, and kindness is evident. As a parent, when I have wanted to be involved in my child's education it was welcomed and encouraged. I have served outside the classroom as a volunteer in many capacities: in the lunchroom, visits to the Nursing Home, organizing fundraising events and at sporting events. A family type atmosphere is encouraged throughout all grades and older students assist younger students for some all-school events, library trips and at worship (Mass). We have been very pleased with not only the academic standards but with the general caring atmosphere at the school. Students are encouraged to grow, incidences of behavior are minimal and are addressed immediately. Most importantly, reconciliation and forgiveness is honored.
It is with great support that I highly recommend Our Lady of Sorrows School
Nick and Heidi Jo Sovacool
We believe Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School has the best education in our community. The school offers a small class size in a safe environment that enforces discipline, academic studies, and religion. The school has a well rounded education by offering classes such as Science, English, Math, Music, Art, Physical Education, Reading, Computers, History, and Religion studies. The school does not allow children to be left behind academically and ensures all kids learn the basics of each class. They offer special education assistance through the Ladysmith school district. The goal is to ensure each child can meet their academic potential. OLS fosters an environment that boosts self esteem so that children can realize their potential. Teachers enforce proper mannerisms which helps students understand how they affect those around them.
The school is highly involved with the local community activities such as the Ladysmith homecoming parade, visiting fire and police departments, and local business such as the public library, pumpkin patch, and apple orchards. The students get to learn the importance of community service by visiting nursing homes, raising money for humane societies, and being apart of memorial services for police department, etc. The students get to experience patriotic pride and unity by saying, “The Pledge Allegiance” every morning. Finally, the best part our school is when they teach children how to start a relationship with God through prayer, sacraments, and mass. This will help them to cope and endure all the uncertainty that life has to offer.
Kevin and Reagan Hulbert
Our Lady of Sorrows school provides a faith-based, Christ-centered education for our children. We are confident that they are receiving a high-quality education because of the commitment of the teachers and staff. Our Lady of Sorrows provides a good Catholic education in a safe environment, allowing our children to grow spiritually, socially, morally, intellectually and emotionally, which has proven invaluable as they grow into strong caring young people. We are very happy with our experience at Our Lady of Sorrows. Our children have enjoyed each and every teacher they have had and we look forward to the next few years at Our Lady of Sorrows.
Jena Donohue DC, DICCP
Neil Donohue DC
Hello! When deciding to send my daughter to OLS I remember visiting several times. I needed to get a feel for the environment and the staff. Even though it took me several visits I knew that it felt like a family for us. When you raise an only child you want them to have people around them that make up for not having siblings. With smaller class sizes I felt that the staff could get to know the students more personally and meet their needs better. As a single mom I have also met so many kind and amazing parents. I consider them friends and family. They have given me parenting support and guidance without even knowing it! I also feel well informed with e-mails etc. from Mrs. Stewart and Mrs. Gerber. That communication keeps OLS stronger. When I asked my daughter her thoughts about OLS she made several positive comments. Having come from larger classrooms she especially likes only one room per grade. She loves the science and art projects. The food is amazing. Everyone helps each other. The bigger students spend time with the younger students. She feels safe at OLS. As parents we need to know the small details carried out by OLS make big impacts on our students! Being surrounded by God's word keeps our students protected. Thank you to everyone involved in educating our OLS students. I made a great decision!
Sincerely, Karen Duvall
FOUR GREAT THINGS ABOUT OUR LADY OF SORROWS SCHOOL
Area 1: Catholic Identity and Faith Infused with Learning
Area 1: Catholic Identity and Faith Infused with Learning
- Students participate in the Mass as cantors, lectors, servers, ushers and gift bearers
- A mini-retreat is done with buddy classes.
- We have class led prayer services each month.
- Each class has a service project they work on throughout the year to help the community and teach giving and civic engagement.
- Religion and faith are strengthened through daily religious education as part of the curriculum which also includes weekly mass with students.
- Students have direct contact with Pastor, Deacons and other church personnel on a regular basis which helps strengthen Catholic faith.
- Students are each paired with a parishioner in our Prayer Partner Program.
- Smartboards, I-pads, and desktop computers are available for use by teachers and students.
- Students often receive recognition for speaking and essay contests.
- Modified work is given as needed.
- High School teachers and personnel often say they can “pick out” the students who came from OLS when speaking of their knowledge and behavior in the classrooms.
- OLS requires a higher grading scale than the local public school which better prepares them for transition to high school.
- A small student-teacher ratio that allows more individualized attention throughout the school day.
- Parents are encouraged to take part in various committees, activities and fundraisers.
- The small community and enrollment within the school helps to ensure more safety through more familiarity with people coming to the school and, thus, more safety.
- The school follows safety training and protocols to help ensure a safe school environment.
- The school requires a higher standard of behavior and respect by and among students.
- A variety of field trips tie into the curriculum.
- Buddy classes pair an older grade with a younger grade so the older students are helping the younger students. Developing leadership skills.
- OLS offers several opportunities for leadership with student council, service projects, and other school sponsored activities.
- The school works very hard to collaborate with other area schools and organizations to offer extra-curricular activities, tutoring and music education.
- OLS has a Fine arts night, a Christmas program, an Education fair, a Family reading night, and offers piano lessons.